Thursday, November 25, 2010

Rudeboy says sorry to me?

Rooney says sorry to fans

Striker insists City move was out of the question


Rooney says sorry to fans

Rooney: Fans apology


Wayne Rooney
Quotes of the week

I feel like I have apologised to the fans but everyone keeps saying that I haven't. If that is the case, then I apologise for my side of things.

Wayne Rooney has finally apologised to the Manchester United fans for the way his transfer negotiations were dealt with last month.

The England striker also claimed there was never the remotest possibility he would have left United for Manchester City.

Sir Alex Ferguson said Rooney had apologised to his team-mates and intended to do the same to the Red Devils supporters when he put an end to a week of controversy by signing a five-year deal.

However, three opportunities to make good that promise were not taken by the 25-year-old.

But on Wednesday night, following his match-winning penalty in UEFA Champions Leagueaction at Rangers, Rooney offered his apology, before insisting there was no truth in the intense rumours about a move to fierce local rivals City.

Apology

"I feel like I have apologised to the fans but everyone keeps saying that I haven't," said Rooney.

"If that is the case, then I apologise for my side of things.

"I have made my point clear since I signed my contract that I am committed to this club for the long term. I want to be successful here.

"Everyone is saying that I was definitely going to Manchester City. Believe me if I had gone it wouldn't have been in England."

For two or three days it appeared certain Rooney was on his way out of Old Trafford as the ill-feeling towards the striker grew.

Yet he now acknowledges that departing the club could have been the biggest mistake of his career.

"Of course," he said. "You see so many players leave this club and not do so well so I am delighted to have stayed."

Direction

Unhappy about the future direction United were heading under the Glazer ownership, Rooney wanted assurances standards would not be allowed to fall.

And the striker explained the process of renewing his deal was straightforward once those assurances were given to him.

"I spoke with the manager and (chief executive) David Gill. They reassured me the club was moving forward and from that it took maybe two or three hours to negotiate my contract and sign it," he said.

"It wasn't a distraction to my football because I haven't played that much but it was a distraction overall. I am just happy it is all over now. I want to put it behind me and look forward."

No comments:

Post a Comment